Ion Maiden is now titled Ion Fury and will launch for PC via Steam on August 15, publishers 1C Entertainment and 3D Realms and developer Voidpoint announced. The PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch versions will follow at a later date.
A physical “Big Box” edition including a Bowling Bomb USB flash drive, digital soundtrack, A3 poster, GDF keycard, Bowling Bomb sticker set, and 60-plus page making of booklet is also available for pre-order at the 3D Realms Store for $59.99.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
While Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison earned her codename defusing bombs for the Global Defense Force, when evil transhumanist mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel unleashes the members of his cybernetic cult onto the streets of Neo DC, she knows it’s time to start causing explosions instead of preventing them.
Her quest to slay Heskel leaves a trail of carnage throughout huge, multi-path levels filled with gigantic explosions, more secret areas than we can count, and inhuman foes behind every corner. There’s no regenerating health here; stop taking cover and start running and gunning.
Shelly’s crusade to take down Heskel’s army will see her leave destruction in her wake with a wide arsenal of weapons, complete with alternate fire modes and different ammo types. Her signature revolver, the tri-barreled Loverboy, brings enemies pain and players pleasure with both single shots and Old West-style hammer fanning action. Who needs a regular shotgun when you can load buckshot into your grenade launcher? Violent, over-the-top Bowling Bombs rip enemies apart with ease.
Ion Maiden laughs at the idea of mandatory checkpoints and straight paths through shooting galleries. But, just because this is a true old-school first-person shooter doesn’t mean we’ve ignored all the good new stuff the last two decades have brought. Headshots? Hell yeah. More physics and interactivity? You betcha. Widescreen, controller support, and Auto Saves? 3D Realms and Voidpoint have taken the best of both worlds and cooked it all into a bloody stew.
What to expect from the full version of Ion Maiden upon release:
- The true successor to classic shooters such as Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood.
- Experience the original Build engine on steroids, pumped up and ready to rock again after 20 years!
- Duck, jump, climb, swim, and blast your way through seven exciting zones packed with multiple levels of mayhem!
- A beautiful game world assembled from thousands of hand-crafted textures and sprites.
- An awe-inspiring arsenal of devastating weapons, including multiple ammo types and alternate fire modes. Tri-barreled revolvers, grenade launchers, and heat-seeking smart bombs are your best friends!
- The classic 90s FPS action you love, meshed with modern inventions like locational damage and seamless level transitions
- Zero procedural generation. All levels are hand made and full of multiple paths, cool effects, and complex set pieces!
- Thumping soundtrack comprised of true tracked module music, in authentic FastTracker 2 format.
- Easy access on to level editor and other development tools on day one, plus Steam Workshop support.
Watch a new trailer below.