The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has an interview with Aquaplus president Naoya Shimokawa on the newly announced smartphone title Utawarerumono: Lost Flag. He does, however, confirm that there are new console-based developments in the works.
Here are the notable tidbits:
- “The things characters lost” is the theme of Utawarerumono: Lost Flag. The subtitle is in Katakana because the platform is different from previous games.
- The reason Utawarerumono: Lost Flag is a smartphone title is because they want as many people as possible to play. There were also many requests from fans for a smartphone title. Aquaplus sees smartphone as a good platform that should not be ignored in order to lead to future console-based developments for the Utawarerumono series.
- Utawarerumono: Lost Flag is set in regions and countries that have not appeared in previous games. While the setting seems familiar enough to exist in the same world as previous games, something also seems off…
- Akuta gives off a much different impression from previous protagonists of the series.
- Both Minagi and Suzuri have some sort of job. Suzuri is voiced by Yuu Ayase and works in cremation. Her outfit is a mourning dress.
- Many characters from previous Utawarerumono games will appear.
- The genre if RPG. The game is being made as something that can be played with ease, but does not destroy the image of Utawarerumono.
- Other projects outside of Utawarerumono: Lost Flag are currently underway. Of course, among them are console-based titles, so please look forward to them.
Utawarerumono: Lost Flag is due out for iOS and Android devices in 2019 in Japan.