YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World will launch physically and digitally for PlayStation 4 and Switch, and for PC via Steam on October 1 in North America for $49.99, publisher Spike Chunsoft announced. It will feature Japanese audio with English text.
The following launch edition bonuses will be available:
- PlayStation 4 – A mini cloth poster featuring Eriko Takeda, the mysterious school nurse at Sakaimachi Academy.
- Switch – A download code for 8-Bit YU-NO’s Great Adventure. Experience an action game set in classic 8-bit style featuring the characters from YU-NO!
In a blog post, Spike Chunsoft detailed the following content changes made to the PlayStation 4 and Switch versions of the game “in order to secure a release in the west on consoles”:
- Sala Oasis Scene – A sunbeam is placed over Sala’s naked lower body.
- Symbols – Some cursor interaction symbols have been replaced with the “investigation” symbol. The story content and gameplay remains the same; only the cursor symbol itself has been replaced.
The content changes will not apply to the PC version, which will contain identical content to the Japanese release.
Here is an overview of the game, via Spike Chunsoft:
Your Love Awaits Beyond This World.
During his vacation from Sakaimachi Academy, Takuya Arima receives a package from his supposedly deceased father. It contains the mysterious Reflector Device which allows the user to travel between parallel worlds.
With help from his friends, teachers, and lovers, Takuya must unearth the mystery of his father’s legacy to prevent a calamity threatening to envelop reality itself.
- The Power of the Reflector – Explore multiple timelines and revisit events through the unique gaming mechanic of the Reflector Device. This allows you to explore every timeline in detail. Activate the Reflector Device’s Auto Divergence Map System to return to an event with more knowledge and new items.
- Your Father’s Clues – Solve all the mysteries of Sakaimachi to uncover the secrets lying beneath Sword Cape. Collect items from one timeline and use them in the next to unlock Sword Cape’s hidden truth.
- Love Beyond Worlds – Can you find the hidden world waiting beyond Sakaimachi? Fall in love with every character to reach the true ending to this 40+ hour visual novel.
Here are some more details, via the game’s official website:
■ What is YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World?
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World is one of many famous adventure games written by the renowned creator Hiroyuki Kanno. This sci-fi adventure game was released for the PC in 1996, Sega Saturn in 1997, and for Windows in 2000.
Tread across innumerable parallel worlds to unravel a hidden mystery and use the A.D.M.S. (Auto Diverge Map System) as a visual guide to find your way.
After many years, YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World comes to the west in a remake for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Steam.
■ Message from the Creators
Producer Makoto Asada / MAGES. Inc.
I wonder how many years it has been since I first encountered this incredible game. YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World is a game that has always lingered on my mind, yet remained vivid to me. Like this project, I too am new here, but I wish to do my best to make a great game for everyone.
YU-NO is a game I love created by a dear, departed friend. Please be patient until its upcoming release in 2015.
*This message was written before YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World‘s Japanese release.
Ryo Nagi / Character Design
I joined the project with apprehension of the daunting task of remaking a famous game, but also the excitement of bringing the beauty of YU-NO to a whole new audience.
While on break from school, Takuya Arima, a student at Sakaimachi Academy, receives a package from his father who supposedly died months ago.
The package contains a round mirror and a strange object with glass beads fitted into it. Accompanying the package is a letter which leads Takuya to believe his father may still be alive:
“Take this device to Triangle Mountain on the Sword Cape at 10 PM.”
Determined to solve the mystery of his father’s disappearance, he follows the letter’s instructions and heads to Triangle Mountain. There he encounters a beautiful woman lying on the ground, unconscious and dying.
She’s not alone. Takuya is suddenly confronted by his father’s old friend and a reclusive transfer student.
At that moment the ground rumbles violently and light envelops him… Takuya’s journey through parallel worlds begins!
Watch a new trailer below. View a set of English screenshots at the gallery.