Publisher Paradox Interactive and developer Hardsuit Labs have released new information on the March-announced Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 detailing the background and disciplines of the Toreador clan.
Get the Toreador clan details below, via Paradox Interactive.
From its music, gardens and parks, and iconic architecture, it would almost appear as though Seattle was shaped by artists. And with good reason – two of Seattle’s former Princes were Toreador, and they remain one of the most numerous Kindred in the city. Influencing the political, social, and cultural elite, the Toreador have been well entrenched within Seattle’s power structure since its days as a pioneer settlement. One look at the modern landscape of Downtown could paint a different picture – as if the massive cranes reshaping the city represent hands plucking the petals off of the rose. Another music venue gets demolished, a block of cookie-cutter townhouses replaces a mid-century modern home, an eccentric district becomes a family-friendly shadow of itself. You will still find the Toreador on the arms of the influential and on the dance floor of exclusive clubs, but there is a sense that this clan is partying like it’s their last.
Obsessed with beauty in all forms, there are those Toreador who would claim that their Clan only chooses the most accomplished artists of each generation – whether they wielded the brush, the pen, their voice, body or mind. It’d only be half a lie. There are true visionaries among the Clan of the Rose, but it also contains its share of one-hit wonders and posers embraced in a moment of fleeting passion. All of them are cursed to spend eternity between the short-lived bliss of true beauty… And the ever-increasing spans of ennui in between. Ever seeking the next surprise, the next experience, the next chance to feel, some Toreador descend into depravity. Others fight grimly to retain the shreds of their humanity, whether by immersing or withdrawing themselves from the mortal world. Among it all, new ideas and trends constantly wash through the Clan, and other Kindred often look to the Toreador to guide them. The Divas know this, and the shrewd among them manage to turn it to their advantage.
A Beautiful Way to Die
Only fools would mistake the Toreador for shallow hedonists. In truth, the Clan of the Rose is one of the most formidable forces among the Kindred: they’re the clan that creates. Players who choose to join them gain access to two of their rarefied Disciplines on top of the individual powers from their Thinblooded past.
Each of the Toreador disciplines and their progression are detailed below:
- Presence – Toreador relish in their ability to turn a crowd into an audience, distraction into rapt attention, and aggression into adoration, by just entering the room. Their signature Discipline of Presence is at the root of this supernatural charm. (Using Presence powers is not a Masquerade Violation.)
- • Awe (Blood Cost: 2) – The first active Presence power, allows the vampire to strike a pose that freezes all before them into adoring wonder. For a short while after, these new admirers will be oblivious to anything but what they just saw. The • • and • • • • • slots upgrade Awe.
- • • • Entrance (Blood Cost: 2) – The second active power, forms a group of admirers around the vampire. For an extended period, these hangers-on will follow wherever the object of their adulation may go, distracting nearby enemies along the way. The • • • • and • • • • • slots upgrade Entrance.
- Celerity – Some Kindred are faster, dodge more elegantly, and can move with unimaginable grace. They use Celerity, the Discipline of pushing their bodies’ speed beyond mortal imagination. (Showing off Celerity to innocent mortals is a Masquerade Violation.)
- • Unseen Storm (Blood Cost: 2) – The first active, allows the vampire to dash in any direction at such a speed as to confound their audience. They can land attacks, dodge around enemies, or get away in a lazy dust cloud. Characters struck along the way of the dash get knocked down. The • • slot further enhances the Unseen Storm.
- • • • Accelerate (Blood Cost: 5) – The second active, opens up speeds so fast that everything else in the world appears to slow down to a virtual standstill. The crowds seem frozen in their steps, as the vampire dances between cars and bullet streaks. A more gauche clan might wish for a popular 80’s synth track in the background. The • • • • and • • • • • slots allow the vampire to further improve their acceleration.
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 is due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in Q1 2020.
Watch a trailer introducing the Toreador clan below.