Publisher Nexon America and developer Final Strike Games have announced Rocket Arena, a three-versus-three first-person shooter launching on Xbox One and PC with cross-platform play, “with PlayStation 4 support also in development.” A closed beta will be available via Steam and the Nexon Launcher from May 23 to 29.
Here is an overview of the game, via Nexon:
■ What is Rocket Arena?
Rocket Arena is a unique take on first-person shooters, where the very method you use taking out opponents has an explosive change: Battle is won not by putting enemies into the dirt, but to send them blasting off into the sky!
Every character has their own loadout of bombs, traps, spells and, yes, rockets that send enemies caught within them flying. The more damage they take, the further they’ll be hurtled around by each and every strike until they’re knocked out of the arena!
With a variety of unique characters with different rockets and abilities to master, rapid-fire matches that keep the energy high and a selection of maps and game modes to shake things up, there’s plenty for you to enjoy during the Closed Beta and when Rocket Arena officially launches!
■ Closed Beta Times
The Closed Beta will have three periods of play, to make sure we can quickly respond to any problems that might arise during the first rounds of widespread play. Sign up here for the chance to be selected for Rocket Arena‘s Closed Beta!
Phase 1 (12 Hours):
- UTC: 5:00 p.m. Thursday, May 23 – 5:00 a.m. Friday, May 24
- PDT (UTC -7): 10:00 a.m. Thursday, May 23 – 10:00 p.m. Thursday, May 23
- EDT (UTC -4): 1:00 p.m. Thursday, May 23 – 1:00 a.m. Friday, May 24
- BRT (UTC -3): 2:00 p.m. Thursday, May 23 – 2:00 a.m. Friday, May 24
- CEST (UTC +2): 7:00 p.m. Thursday, May 23 – 7:00 a.m. Friday, May 24
- AEST (UTC +10): 3:00 a.m. Friday, May 24 – 3:00 p.m. Friday, May 24
Phase 2 (12 Hours):
- UTC: 5:00 p.m. Friday, May 24 – 5:00 a.m. Saturday, May 24
- PDT (UTC -7): 10:00 a.m. Friday, May 24 – 10:00 p.m. Friday, May 24
- EDT (UTC -4): 1:00 p.m. Friday, May 24 – 1:00 a.m. Saturday, May 25
- BRT (UTC -3): 2:00 p.m. Friday, May 24 – 2:00 a.m. Saturday, May 25
- CEST (UTC +2): 7:00 p.m. Friday, May 24 – 7:00 a.m. Saturday, May 25
- AEST (UTC +10): 3:00 a.m. Saturday, May 25 – 3:00 p.m. Saturday, May 25
Phase 3 (Four Days):
- UTC: 5:00 p.m. Saturday, May 25 – 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 29
- PDT (UTC -7): 10:00 a.m. Saturday, May 25 – 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, May 29
- EDT (UTC -4): 1:00 p.m. Saturday, May 25 – 1:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 29
- BRT (UTC -3): 2:00 p.m. Saturday, May 25 – 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 29
- CEST (UTC +2): 7:00 p.m. Saturday, May 25 – 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 29
- AEST (UTC +10): 3:00 a.m. Sunday, May 26 – 3:00 a.m. Thursday, May 30
Closed Beta Sign-Ups End:
- UTC: 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 22
- PDT (UTC -7): 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, May 22
- EDT (UTC -4): 1:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 22
- BRT (UTC -3): 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 22
- CEST (UTC +2): 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, May 22
- AEST (UTC +10): 3:00 a.m. Thursday, May 23
■ Closed Beta Rewards
You’ll earn special prizes for participating in the Closed Beta as well! During the Closed Beta and when Rocket Arena officially launches, your account will be given the Pulsar Megablast and Plasma Return Trail cosmetic items!
People from all walks of life, from all across Crater come to the Rocket Championship Tour to vie for fame, fortune and the Rocket Trophy! Each character has different abilities, traits and special items you can unlock as you level them up, so try them all out and figure out your favorite:
- Amphora: The pride of the Crystal Reef, Amphora is a speedy fighter that can morph into a pool of water and then form a powerful geyser to knock her foes into the sky!
- Blastbeard: An old pirate from the nearly lawless Crater’s Edge, Blastbeard is a former champion who makes up for his poor speed by lugging around a massive cannon that fires the most powerful rockets possible!
- Izell: Hailing from the wild Gemstone Jungle, Izell the Fearless is a close-quarters powerhouse who fires short-range rockets from her spear and launches herself into the thick of things with her Jaaqua Charge!
- Jayto: The returning champion from Boom City, Jayto is a talented all-around competitor that uses a variety of powerful rocket attacks to defend his title and show that his victory wasn’t a fluke.
- Kayi: The deposed princess of Icefall Keep, Kayi is a technical competitor that can deal heavy damage from long range with her Charged Bolt attack and zip around the battlefield with a Grappling Hook!
- Plink: An odd, but cheerful young boy from the inhospitable Desolation, Plink is a speedster that fires custom-made homing Scrap Rockets to batter his enemies, and can evade foes with an improvised Skedaddle Ball teleporter.
■ The World of Crater
Get introduced to the wonderful world of Crater and its many exotic locales as you duke it out on six colorful maps with unique layouts, features and places to hide:
- Boom City: Home to the legend of the most famous Tour competitor, Berno Boom. Tourists flock from all over Crater to come see his magnificent statue and bask in the glory that Berno Boom created for Boom City.
- Crater’s Edge: Home to amazing waterfalls, exotic beaches and even some great pirate treasure if you can find it. But be careful where you look, in case you run into the Grand Crew, the band of pirates that take refuge in Crater’s Edge!
- Crystal Reef: Full of undersea wonders, such as the enormous gem “The Star of Crater”. Colonist and tourist alike come from all over Crater to visit this amazing jewel of the sea.
- Gemstone Jungle: Home to ancient temples and a ruined city, is filled with wondrous jewels but also a myriad of dangers like the legendary (and hopefully extinct) Jaaqua.
- The Wilds: Once home to the great Megadon, a now extinct reptile, its huge bones now cover the Wilds in a prehistoric, now-desert graveyard.
- Serrata Peaks: An icy palace nestled in a snowcapped mountain range, battle throughout and over Icefall Keep in the cold, dark winter.
There will be four different modes of play you can experiment with during the Closed Beta:
- Knockout: The basic game mode for heavy combat. To win, knock each opponent out of the arena three times using your rockets and abilities! Players that are out of badges are still in the action.
- Rocketball: Fight for control of the Rocketball, throw or carry it into the opponent’s goal to score and use your rockets to keep the opposition from scoring!
- Mega Rocket: Large Mega Rockets drop from the sky and create capture zones. Blast your opponents away from the zones and claim victory!
- RocketBot Attack: A cooperative mode that pits you and your friends against a horde of AI-controlled RocketBots!
Watch the announcement trailer below.