The latest YouTube video for A-set, an Internet idol who also appears as a character in Spike Chunsoft’s upcoming detective adventure game AI: The Somnium Files, has posted a new video featuring the first gameplay footage of the title.
Here is the footage (starts at 0:23):
Additionally, Spike Chunsoft has released new information and screenshots introducing the “Somnium” and “Investigation” gameplay systems, as well as five new characters:
There are two types of gameplay: Somnium and Investigation. The plot unfolds as the player moves between the Investigation and Somnium gameplay modes. Investigation mode takes place in the real world, where you play as detective Kaname Date on the case of a potential serial killer.
As Date, you collect information by listening to testimonies and examining crime scenes. The story advances by visiting various locations and gathering clues. Gaining as much information as possible is rewarded: even if it seems unrelated, it may prove useful in the future.
In addition to simply speaking with people and inspecting objects at the scene, there are three unique gameplay elements you will encounter:
- Special Vision Modes – Date’s left eye, the AI-Ball known as Aiba, has the ability to examine the environment further. Use three special vision modes to gain information you can’t see with the naked eye!
- Zoom – Examine objects up-close for a better look.
- Thermo – View a thermograph of an object.
- X-ray – Use electromagnetic radiation to see inside of objects and reveal hidden clues.
- Interrogation – Question suspects or persons of interest for more information. Here, you can corroborate crime scene evidence with witness testimony to gain leads.
- Quick Time Events – Detective work is dangerous! Quickly input the correct commands to escape life-or-death situations. If you fail, it’s game over!
Character designer Yusuke Kozaki created an array of unique characters for AI: The Somnium Files. Let’s meet five more characters who are deeply involved with the case!
Shoko Nadami (voiced by Yu Kobayashi in Japanese)
A woman found dead on the merry-go-round in a defunct amusement park. Her left eye socket was hollowed out.
Hitomi Sagan (voiced by Dorah Fine in English, Sayaka Ohara in Japanese)
Hitomi is Iris’s mother. Her parents died in an accident when she was 17. She raised Iris alone. Due to an injury in the past, she can’t move her right arm.
Mayumi Matsushita (voiced by Philece Sampler in English, Toshiko Sawada in Japanese)
Mayumi is Ota’s mother. Over 30 years ago, she and her husband took out significant loans to open Matsushita Diner. She can be forgetful at times.
So Sejima (voiced by John DeMita in English, Naomi Kusumi in Japanese)
So is a member of the post-war generation. He grew up poor, which made him greedy for power and wealth.
Mama (voiced by Kenta Miyuke in Japanese)
Owns a bar that Date and Renju frequent. She is also an information broker in the criminal underworld.
■ New Screenshots
AI: The Somnium Files is due out for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam on September 17 in North America and September 19 in Japan. A European release date has yet to be announced.
View the screenshots at the gallery.