Publisher Chucklefish and Shanghai-based developer Pixpil have released a 15-minute gameplay preview of Eastward, its 90s anime-inspired adventure RPG for PC and Mac.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Eastward is a beautifully detailed and charismatic adventure game with RPG elements, from Shanghai-based indie developers Pixpil.
In the near-future society is starting to collapse, with the human population shrinks to an all-time low. As the world around falls to ruin, a hardworking miner called John discovers a young girl named Sam deep underground in a secret facility. After escaping the town, the unlikely pair embark on an emotional journey to discover the strange truth about her origins and the mystery behind the sinister creatures who descend on the local towns, devouring everything in their path.
Inspired by 90s Japanese animation, the vibrant world of Eastward is brought to life by a combination of innovative modern 3D lighting techniques and soulful retro-pixel artwork.
- Travel the World – Discover the wonderfully weird world of Eastward. Jump aboard the cross-country railway which spans this decaying continent, stopping off to explore its bustling towns, curious campsites and shady forests.
- Fight or Fry – Fend off peculiar monsters and ferocious bosses with your weapon of choice – be it a gun, flamethrower or your trusty ol’ frying pan.
- Mix Things Up – Switch between controlling John and Sam to solve environmental puzzles and fight your way through formidable dungeons, separating to unlock hidden paths or sticking together as you traverse a perilous landscape.
- Small Town Life – Get to know a quirky cast of characters with oodles of personality, as you immerse yourself in this heartwarming story-driven adventure, packed with fun and wacky humor.
- Retro Beats – Bop along to a wonderfully upbeat soundtrack composed by Joel Corelitz (Hohokum, The Unfinished Swan, The Tomorrow Children, Gorogoa), with sound design from Irish studio, Hyperduck Soundworks (Dust: An Elysian Tail, Kingdom Rush).
Watch the gameplay preview below.