Florida-based developer Walthall Studios has launched a Kickstarter campaign for Midnight Wave, a “stylish retro cyberpunk samurai” game that combines elements from tactical RPGs and platformers. It is planned for release on PC and Mac in Q4 2019, followed later by consoles. The campaign is seeking $47,337 in funding.
The game will feature an “all-star cast of voice acting talent” with credits in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter, NieR, Dragon Ball, Persona, My Hero Academia, and more.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Midnight Wave is a samurai cyberpunk tactical action RPG with immense customization, narrative choice, and innovative gameplay mechanic combinations, set in a world full of katanas, mega corporations, and elemental powers. Inspired by legendary classic titles such as Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros., as well as more recent games like the Mass Effect series, Midnight Wave invites you to take part in a total genre mash-up adventure like no-other!
- Innovative Combat: Plan your attacks on the tactical map, then battle them out in a platform fighter duel! No more RNG percentages. You control the action.
- Old School Aesthetic: We’ve got pixel art vibes that’ll make you drown in nostalgia!
- Narrative Choice: The story is yours, say what you want, do what you want, and make difficult choices that shape the world.
- Characters and World: Everything is fleshed out! Explore and learn more about characters and the world, and watch as they react to your actions.
- Customization: Customize all of your characters! Not just their equipment, but their appearance, class, and skills, too! Unlike other games, in Midnight Wave tactical sprites, portraits, and platform fighter sprites all change appearance accordingly.
- Elemental Combat: Wreak havoc on the battlefield with the elements! Freeze your enemies, burn them alive, or blow them away! Manipulate the environment to your advantage.
- Local Multiplayer: Enjoy local multiplayer with up to four friends! Choose your character and fight head to head in platform fighter combat.
Read more about the game at its official website.
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.