Following a teaser earlier today, leaks from the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveal Atelier Rurua: The Alchemist of Arland 4 for PlayStation 4 and Switch. It will launch in 2019 in Japan for 7,800 yen. A 10,800 yen limited edition will also be available. Pre-orders will open on October 25 in Japan. Character designs are by Mel Kishida.
The protagonist is Elmeluria Frixell, the daughter of Ateler Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland protagonist Rorona. Her voice actor is currently unannounced. She has long hair adorned with a heart symbol. Her clothes appear to be hand-me-downs from Rorona. She is a studious girl and reckless type who, studying under her master to become an alchemist like her mother, picks up a certain book.
Elmeluria’s childhood friend is Eva Armster. Her voice actor is also unannounced. She is a proper girl who works at an orphanage. While she has a quiet personality, she is a tough fighter in battle, seemingly using a bazooka or Gatling gun.
The game uses the synthesis, exploration, and battle elements of the Arland series as its base. New systems based on elements that gained popularity through the Mysterious sub-series of Atelier games will also appear. Synthesis will be both classic and new.
The world features an even bigger Arland Republic where Arls has been annexed. It also seems that Rorona is somewhere far away from here.
(Editor’s Note: “Elmeluria,” and “Eva Armster” are not official localized names.)
Update: Here is a quote from Lulua: “Rorona. That is the name of the mother I love.”
And here are some comments from producer Junzo Hosoi:
- “I told Mel Kishida a long time ago that I wanted to make a sequel. Lulua’s design took some time. There is a balance between how much she does and doesn’t resemble Rorona. Mel was extremely particular about things like her key hair ornaments.”
- “Lulua is a protagonist who expresses her emotions with reckless abandon and has a good impression of everyone, you don’t feel she behaves sarcastically.”
- “She doesn’t act without thinking, she is able to carefully consider the feelings of others.”
- “While it may be surprising that Rorona is a mother, we don’t want to betray everyone’s expectations or destroy the feelings of fans who have watched her grow thus far, so please rest assured.”
And here are some other tidbits:
- Eva has known Lulua for a long time and is an important character. Her clothes resemble Rorona’s due to Rorona’s influence on her. There is a big hint in the game hidden within the information about Eva. A helper at the orphanage, Eva is ordinarily a reliable person, but in front of Lulua she reveals a side that can easily succumb to loneliness.
- After something in Arland, look forward to playing with a sense of freedom.
The story in this work has a wide mix of choices along with solid story points.
- Each person’s journey leading up to the end of the game will be different.
- Since the world is so vast, there is no time limit.
- The theme of the game is “inheritance.” A prime example of this is included in the element that is Rorona being a mother.
- Questions like “Who is the father?” will be answered later on.
Update 08/24/18 at 11:07 a.m.: View the first screenshot and artwork here.