Life of Pixel, the Super Icon-developed adventure game set across worlds themed after classic game systems, is coming to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita via the PlayStation Store on August 22 as Super Life of Pixel, ported and published by Starblood Arena studio WhiteMoon Dreams, the company announced.
Whereas the original Life of Pixel—which first launched for PC, Mac, and Linux via Steam in October 2014, followed by Wii U via the Nintendo eShop in June 2015—had 13 worlds each based on a classic game system, Super Life of Pixel has 19 worlds and over 100 levels.
Here is an overview of the original Life of Pixel, via its Steam page:
Life of Pixel – 13 game machines in one epic adventure game!
Journey across the expertly-recreated worlds of more than a dozen vintage gaming systems, from Commodore 64 to Gameboy to SNES! Life of Pixel takes you on a historical tour-de-force across the rich landscape of 8-bit and 16-bit gaming.
Chock-full of tricks and traps, double jump challenges, gravity inversion, special power-ups, puzzles you must vanquish the enemy pixels and bosses who try to thwart you throughout your quest. Life of Pixel will show you the coolness of video gaming and the history of where it all began and how it evolved.
- Inspired by the 8 and 16-bit Eras – Take a journey with the wizened Professor Pixel and revisit the golden age of gaming. Featuring a massive variety of beautiful pixel art from classic 8 and 16-bit game systems, such as Amiga, SNES, Mega Drive, Commodore 64, Apple II, Game Boy, NES, Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum, and Master System!
- Revisit Classic Games – Look out for nudges to console classics like Mega Man, Castlevania, Zelda, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Metroid, Wonder Boy, Pitfall, Sonic, and more. Revisit computer legends such as Turrican, Uridium, Jet Set Willy, James Pond, Rick Dangerous, Prince of Persia, Impossible Mission, Exile, and lots more.
- Loads of Secrets! – Dozens of special secrets to uncover and experience. From silly little touches through to great big mega-epic secrets! Look out for jetpacks, bubbles to fly, trampolines, hidden rooms and maps, aeroplanes, skateboards and even a Sinclair C5!
- Awesome Power-ups – Special power-ups and equipment with levels featuring puzzles and secrets only accessible using Pixel’s new found abilities. Fire pixel from a cannon, reach high areas by bouncing on a trampoline, use the Super Potion to defeat enemies, smash the baddies with the mine cart, deploy the Bomb to destroy walls and uncover hidden secrets!
- Chip Music Goodness – We’ve worked with amazing chip musicians such as Eric Shumaker, Gavin Harrison, Rob Lynch, Ashton Morris, and others to create a fantastic chip music soundtrack for the game – and not forgetting the sound effects too! All audio created with either the original hardware or VST based emulation.
Leaderboards – Compete online against other players from all over the world to earn the best level completion times!
Watch the PlayStation 4 and PS Vita announcement trailer below.