Shenmue I & II will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on August 21, publisher Sega announced.
The physical edition, which has been available to pre-order since April, will include a double-sided poster featuring characters from the Shenmue saga, as well as reversible cover art featuring original artwork.
The digital edition is available to pre-order today via the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, and Steam with a 10 percent discount off its standard $29.99 price point.
Here is an overview of the collection, via Sega:
A tale of revenge.
In 1986, teenage jujitsu artist Ryo Hazuki returns to the dojo of his father, Iwao Hazuki, only to witness his murder by a Chinese man, Lan Di. Lan Di steals a mysterious artifact known as the Dragon Mirror. Ryo vows to avenge his father’s death and sets out tracing Lan Di’s path.
- The best Shenmue experience:
- Updated user interface
- Choice of modern or classic controls
- Japanese audio available for the first time for a global audience
- Fully scalable screen resolutions
- An epic legend:
- A tale of revenge on a grand scale
- Solve the mystery of your father’s murder
- An experience never to be forgotten
- The world feels alive:
- Talk to anyone, scour the world for clues
- NPCs live independent lives on their own schedule
- Faithful recreations of 1980s Japan and Hong Kong, China
- Distract yourself with arcade games, collectibles, duck racing, and more
And here is a new FAQ posted on the collection’s official website:
Which version of Shenmue II did we port?
For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional features missing from the Dreamcast version:
- Snapshots system
- Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing
As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.
What features have we added?
As well as the herculean effort of porting the code to the new platforms, there is a huge number of things we have added:
- Choice of Japanese or English speech in both games
- Saves can be carried over from Shenmue into Shenmue II on all platforms
- Saving anywhere in both games
- HD resolution rendering
- Updated UI
- New post processing effects for both games
- Full controller support and configurable mouse and keyboard for PC users
- Full Achievement support for both games on all platforms
What does Modern control scheme mean?
Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users.
Will the games run at 60Hz?
Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.
Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?
Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.
Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.
Can the emulated arcade games be played?
We are pleased to announce that all the arcade games in the original are fully playable in the new release!
Who do we have to thank for this incredible work?
The amazing team at d3t.
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.