Capcom shared new information on its Resident Evil 2 remake during San Diego Comic-Con 2018, including the announcement of a GameStop and EB Games-exclusive collector’s edition for North America and the reveal of the game’s box art.
Here are the details, via the PlayStation Blog:
Leon’s Younger Look
Leon’s younger look in Resident Evil 2. Compared to later entries, the goal was to give him more of a fresh-faced rookie look in contrast to the hero that he becomes later on in the series. Famous for having one of the worst first days on the job in history (they cancelled his welcoming party and everything), a lot of thought was put into how Leon’s new, yet classic, look would work with modern photorealistic graphics. As a result, the team created a physical version of Leon’s costume, using photogrammetry technology to scan his clothes into the game and added minor details and changes afterwards.
Resident Evil 2 isn’t complete without Claire, our hero who comes to Raccoon City searching for her brother Chris. Claire’s updated design uses the same technology, scanning in a real-world costume to capture every last detail of her outfit. The team had quite a bit of discussion on how to design her new look, and how much of it should retain her appearance from the original PlayStation Resident Evil 2. Ultimately, the team decided on an appearance that would line up with the iconic scene of Claire entering Raccoon City on her motorcycle. The team is extremely happy with her final design, and hope you all enjoy it as well!
For the city itself, the team put a major focus on two concepts that permeate throughout the game: A sense of wetness, and playing off a fear of the dark. Using the powerful RE Engine, the team has been able to achieve their goal of creating a sense of dread through these visual cues. The events of Resident Evil 2 take place on a rainy day in Raccoon City, causing puddles and flooding in parts of the city, while others areas are covered in the grotesque aftermath of clashes with the undead and other terrors lurking in the gloom.
Finally, it’s not Resident Evil 2 without zombies! Hirabayashi and the team discussed how they designed the scourge of undead in the remake. Simply put, they wanted to create something monstrous that you didn’t want to be bitten by! To that end, zombies have been created with the same concepts of wetness and darkness in mind, ensuring that every encounter is just as tense as the one before.
Collector’s Edition ($199.99 USD / $239.99 CAD) – Exclusive to GameStop and EB Games
- Full Game
- Special Deluxe Packaging
- Leon S. Kennedy (R.P.D. Version) Figure: An expertly-crafted 12-inch figure of Leon on his first day in his new RPD police uniform, re-created to mirror his in-game design down to the smallest details. A must-have for any Resident Evil fan or collector!
- “Ben’s File” Art Book: A 32-page book left behind by Ben Bertolucci, a freelance journalist who makes an appearance in Resident Evil 2. This file contains photos and files documenting events after the Raccoon City tragedy, and was filed away as a highly confidential document by the U.S. government. It’s never been seen by the public… until now.
- Digital Soundtrack: A voucher code for a 25-track album featuring new songs from the remake of Resident Evil 2, as well as a selection of arrangements from the original game.
- “R.P.D.” Renovation Design Poster: A diagram reminiscent of blueprints, this poster illustrates how the building was renovated and transformed from a museum to a police facility when work was being done on the building in 1969.
- Extra DLC Pack Card
- Leon Costume: “Arklay Sheriff”
- Leon Costume: “Noir”
- Claire Costume: “Military”
- Claire Costume: “Noir”
- Claire Costume: “Elza Walker”
- Deluxe Weapon: “Samurai Edge – Albert Model”
- “Original Version” Soundtrack Swap
Resident Evil 2 is due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on January 25, 2019.
View the above images in high-res at the gallery.