Spike Chunsoft will release Zanki Zero: Last Beginning physically and digitally for PlayStation 4, and for PC via Steam in North America and Europe, the company announced. A release window was not announced.
In Japan, Zanki Zero: Last Beginning will also be released for PS Vita.
The western release of the survival RPG will feature English text, and both Japanese and English audio.
Here is an overview of the game, via Spike Chunsoft:
About Zanki Zero: Last Beginning
From producer Yoshinori Terasawa and game designer Takayuki Sugawara, the creators of the Danganronpa series, comes a new kind of survival game, Zanki Zero: Last Beginning. Explore the ruins, dungeons, and islands in this post-apocalyptic world through the perspectives of eight protagonists as they fight for survival and search for meaning in their never-ending cycles of life and death.
God created the world in seven days. It only took one day for humans to destroy the world. Life as we knew it sank to the depths of the sea…until yesterday. We do not yet know the broken world and the reasons left behind there. An earth where ruins drift about. Buildings, houses, light posts. Cars, traffic lights, asphalt… Modern civilization was destroyed, becoming nothing more than debris wading in the sea. New ruins drift one after the other before the protagonist, who lives on one of those decaying islands.
- Eight Clones, Seven Deadly Sins, Infinite Lives – Play from the perspectives of one of eight protagonists in each chapter and explore the dungeons, towers, and islands to uncover the deadly sins of the protagonists’ past.
- Survival of the Fittest – Hunt for materials and food while fending off monsters in real-time battle environments, but don’t forget to sleep, eat, and go to the bathroom (seriously, it’s bad for your health and fatal for your party).
- Live, Die, Repeat – With only 13 days in one life cycle, each clone’s stats, abilities, and capabilities differ from youth to old age. Depending on how you die, you can even earn bonus upgrades for your next life cycle. Take advantage of each life cycle to the fullest!
Spike Chunsoft will host a Game Developers Conference 2018 presentation tonight at 5:00 p.m. PT / 8:00 p.m. ET, which will be live streamed on Twitch and feature an exclusive look at Zanki Zero: Last Beginning with Danganronpa series producer Yoshinori Terasawa.
Update: Here are some additional details, via Spike Chunsoft’s Game Developers Conference 2018 presentation:
Only ruins drift across the earth.
God created the world in seven days. It only took one day for humans to destroy the world.
Life as we knew it sank to the depths of the sea… until yesterday. We do not yet know the broken world and the reasons left there.
The last eight survivors until human extinction. We are the only ones left on this planet.
- Haruto Higurashi – Editor of Sloth
- Ryo Mikajime – Artist of Envy
- Zen Kubota – Farmer of Wrath
- Mamoru Ichiyo – Doctor of Greed
- Rinko Susukino – Florist of Lust
- Yuma Mashiro – Heiress of Gluttony
- Minamo Setiouchi – Officer of Pride
- Sachika Hirasaka – Girl of Original Sin
“Shear the way to show humanity a brighter future!”
In the garage on Junk Island, where the eight protagonists live, there is an old TV that shows only one program known as “Extend TV.” The host is played by the super cute, herbivorous mascot, Mirai. She is a sheep, as you can tell, but she is responsible enough to be trusted with her role. Her assistant, Sho Terashima, acts completely without restraint and has even wet himself during the show, but he seems to understand that he only exists inside the TV.
Their role is to guide the eight clones, who are not familiar with survival know-how, and help them repopulate the now-extinct human race.
Clones are cloned humans that mature and die of old age in a mere 13 days. They have regenerated bodies and inherited memories.
The character’s age is affect by the player’s play style and history. So depending on the playthrough, a character can look completely different even during the same event scene.
Live a life of survival and self-sufficiency, explore ruins in real time, and fight in minimalistic and action-packed battlles.
Producer and Director
- Producer: Yoshinori Terasawa – The executive producer for the entire Danganronpa series, and the producer for Zanki Zero: Last Beginning. He worked on the Conception sreies as well.
- Creative Director: Takayuki Sugawara – The creator of the game systems for Danganronpa. The game was created by the duo of Kazutaka Kodaka (scenario writer) and Takayuki Sugawara (game designer).