Following the launch of a teaser website last week, Sega has officially announced Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch. It will launch in the Americas and Europe in 2018. In Japan, where an Xbox One version will not be released, it will launch for PlayStation 4 on March 21, 2018 and for Switch in summer 2018.
Here’s an overview of the game, via Sega:
It is the year 1935 EC…
The continent of Europa is engulfed in the flames of the Second Europan War between the Atlantic Federation and the Autocratic Eastern Imperial Alliance. Although the Federation struggles valiantly against the Empire’s forces, the relentless imperial military machine threatens to consume them. With victory slipping away, the Federation executes Operation Northern Cross: a last-ditch attempt to capture the imperial capital and end the war.
Commander Claude Wallace and his loyal childhood friends in Squad E are sent to fight for the desperate operation’s success, but they will have to endure harsh bone-chilling elements, waves of imperial soldiers, and the terrifying Valkyria… and unravel a grave truth that will shake them to the core.
- A Coming-of-Age Story in a Time of War – Valkyria Chronicles 4 takes place in the same timeframe as the original Valkyria Chronicles, but focuses on a whole new cast of main characters. Players will take command of the eager, young Commander Claude Wallace, engineer/heavy weapons extraordinaire Riley Miller, hotheaded Darcsen Raz, ice-cold ace sniper Kai Schulen, and more. Together, they will experience the painful realities of war–but will the bonds of Squad E’s friendships survive the frozen battlefield?
- The Next Generation “BLiTZ” Battle System – The part overhead turn-based strategy, part RPG, and part real-time 3rd person shooter “BLiTZ” battle system returns to the field. New features include an explosive new class called the Grenadier, numerous offensive/defensive battleship support options, chances for a unit to have a “Last Stand” action before death, and more. Plus, fight the imperial threat with more units on larger-scale maps than ever before.
- CANVAS Aesthetics – The series’ signature hand-drawn visual style is back and overhauled for the newest generation. Inspired by watercolor compositions, the CANVAS Graphics Engine blends visual elements of reality and imagination to create an expressive world filled with colorful emotions. Watch the journey of Squad E unfold like an interactive painting!
- The Return of a Legendary Composer – The illustrious Hitoshi Sakimoto, original composer of the Valkyria Chronicles series and countless other emotional epics, returns to provide a sweeping orchestral soundtrack for the game.
In Japan, the standard edition of Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4 will cost 7,990 yen and a “10th Anniversary Memorial Pack” limited edition will cost 12,990 yen. First-print copies of the game will include an additional mission. Here are the details:
PS4 Version Limited Edition
The “10th Anniversary Memorial Pack” limited edition will include the following:
- A copy of Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4
- A product code for the additional story downloadable content “Joint Operation with Squad 7” – A story in which Squad 7 from the original Valkyria Chronicles appears. By playing this downloadable content, the Edelweiss operated by Welkin Gunther, as well as Alicia Melchiot, Largo Potter, and Brigitte “Rosie” Stark will be made available in the main story of Valkyria Chronicles 4. Additionally, Isara Gunther can be acquired as a unit for the first time.
- 10th Anniversary Soundtrack – A CD containing a selection of music from the series’ four titles.
- 10th Anniversary Illustration Book – A booklet filled with illustrations from the series’ four titles. The front cover illustration is done by Raita Honjou. It is B5-size and 72 pages long.
PS4 Version First-Print Purchase Bonus
First-print copies of Valkyria Chronicles 4 for PlayStation 4 in Japan will include the additional mission downloadable content, “Preemptive Special Tactics.” By clearing this mission, you can use Edy Nelson from the original Valkyria Chronicles as a unit in the main story.
The November 22-due issue of Weekly Famitsu will also have a feature on Valkyria Chronicles 4, but the online version of the publication went up with a few preliminary details on four of the characters.
Claude Wallace (voiced by Ryousuke Kanemoto)
The protagonist. Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E squad leader and tanker. A first lieutenant. He is a serious, passionate, and caring commanding officer.
Riley Miller (voiced by Nao Touyama)
The heroine. A member of the Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Batallion’s Heavy Weapons Support Team. A grenadier. A second lieutenant technician. She is positive and cheerful, and ambitious in that she pushes forward without fear of failure.
Raz (voiced by Kazuya Nakai)
A division officer of Squad E. Since he is of the persecuted “Darcsen” people, he does not have a last name. He belongs to the infantry class of the army.
Kai Schulen (voiced by Maaya Sakamoto)
A division officer of Squad E and a prodigy sharpshooter known as the “One Shot Killer.”
The official theme song is “Light Up My Life,” which is written and sung by Mai Kuraki, composed by Shilo, and aranged by Shuho Mitani.