Square Enix has announced Dissidia Final Fantasy NT “exclusively” for PlayStation 4. The console version of the arcade fighting game developed by Koei Tecmo studio Team Ninja is due out worldwide in early 2018.
Here’s an overview of the game, via its Amazon page:
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT introduces squad-based battle gameplay by allowing you to wage war with over 20 of your favorite Final Fantasy characters. Combining unparalleled visuals, seamless gameplay, and your favorite characters from the past 30 years of the franchise, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT welcomes all gamers with three-versus-three battles and the series renowned “bravery combat system”. While aiming for supremacy, call forth familiar summons like Ifrit, Shiva, and Odin to aid you and your party! Square Enix is collaborating with Team Ninja, one of the world’s leading developers in the fighting game genre, to bring Dissidia Final Fantasy NT to life.
- Final Fantasy, everything you could ever want – Over 20 playable Final Fantasy heroes and villains to play, over ten iconic battle arenas, legendary summons, tons of equippable weapons and moogles.
- The return from Eos – Noctis makes his triumphant return to the PS4 as a combatant, fighting to save the world of Dissidia.
- Legendary narrative – Dive into an all-new Final Fantasy story, written by writer Kazushige Nojima (Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, and Kingdom Hearts II).
- Your fantasy. Your fight – Each battle you wage, you will gain XP and gil to deepen the customization of your Final Fantasy champion – from EX skills to weapons to skins, level up.
- Only the brave survive – The bravery combat system allows a much deeper and more methodical approach to the fighting game genre, separating luck from skill.
Here a few additional details from the Japanese live stream reveal:
- “NT” means various things, including “New Tale,” “New Trial,” and “New Tournament.”
- There is no “Story Mode.” It is mainly a fighting game based on the arcade version. But the PlayStation 4 version will have a story that is not present in the arcade version, which you will be able to experience through event scenes.
- It won’t be necessary to fight against other players. You will be able to experience a single story no matter how you play.
- The game has the same basic three-versus-three party battle system as the arcade version, but there are also PlayStation 4-only original systems. This includes additional battle rules, an offline single-player mode, and a mode to create rooms that only friends can join.
- The arcade version will continue to receive updates first.
- Arcade users and PlayStation 4 users won’t be able to fight against each other.
- They’re investigating letting arcade users carry over a certain level of data.
- The game will be playable at E3 2017 from June 13 to 15.