The next Assassin’s Creed game, previously rumored under the code-name “Assassin’s Creed: Empire,” is called Assassin’s Creed: Origins and will be announced at E3 2017 in June for a fall 2017 release, according to sources of WWG.
The game is said to be set in the vast open world of Ancient Egypt. Its story apparently features two main characters—a man and a woman—and revolves around the original Assassin’s guild. It will reportedly offer a character progression system that one development source of WWG compared to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Gameplay itself is said to place greater emphasis on exploration and offer more freedom over previous Assassin’s Creed titles. The world is apparently “huge” in scope, with it said to be the biggest Assassin’s Creed game to date. Naval combat will reportedly also return, allowing players to travel beyond Egypt, possibly even as far as Greece.
An internal video of Assassin’s Creed: Origins described to WWG apparently shows scenes of Egypt before transitioning between different periods and locations throughout history, including an Asian country, World War II-era France, and a modern day Abstergo Industries facility. It is unclear if this video will be shown to the public.
WWG’s rumor, published on May 6, compliments a rumor posted on Reddit on May 5, in which a user claiming to work for a company that makes pre-order cards for different department stores claimed to have seen a new order for a Far Cry 5, as well as a new Assassin’s Creed title called “Assassin’s Creed: Origins,” featuring artwork of a city with a pyramid in the background and an assassin walking towards it.
E3 2017 runs from June 13 to 15. While Ubisoft has yet to date its press conference, it will likely be held on Monday, June 12.