The first major update for Blaster Master Zero will launch for Switch on May 3 and for 3DS on May 4, developer Inti Creates announced.
The version 1.2 update adds the following new content:
■ Destroyer Mode
A super difficult “hard mode” that you can access after clearing the game.
Here’s are a few examples of the differences in Destroyer Mode:
- The Energy Guard item has absolutely no effect in Destroyer Mode. If you want to keep your Gun Level up, you’ll need to make sure you maneuver very carefully.
- Life Up items also have no effect. Get ready for even tougher boss fights!
- The strongest weapon in Normal Mode, Wave (Gun Level 8), won’t work against some enemies. You have to choose the pertinent gun level for each enemy or else you won’t deal any damage.
- When an enemy is destroyed on side view maps, it unleashed bullets that fly in the player’s direction. Careless attacks can prove to be quite costly!
- In Destroyer Mode, Jason and SOPHIA III also receive a little color makeover.
Destroyer Mode calls for you to make the right call at every turn and make use of your entire arsenal if you want to have a chance at defeating the game’s powered up mutants. It provides a whole new type of challenge for those who have completed the game once before, so be sure to give it a try!
■ EX Character Mode
Version 1.2 also comes with EX Character Mode, which allows you to play through the entire game as one of many brand new downloadable content characters that will be available. These characters aren’t just skins, though! They have their own set of abilities and weapons that create a gameplay experience completely different from that of the main protagonist, Jason.
Every time a new character gets released for EX Character Mode, you will be able to download that charage for FREE for a two week period following the release of the character. It’s the perfect chance to experience the game in a whole new way with beloved characters from a wide range of IPs.
EX Character: Gunvolt from Azure Striker Gunvolt
Launches May 4 for free until May 17, before price changes to $1.99 / €1.99.
The main protagonist from the Azure Striker Gunvolt series strikes into the fray as a playable character! With Gunvolt’s septimal power of electricity, take control of his “Flashfield” and “Prevasion” abilities and give those mutant baddies the shock of a lifetime!
EX Character: Ekoro from Gal Gun
Launches June 1 for free until June 14, before price changes to $1.99 / €1.99.
The “elite” angel you remember from Mighty Gunvolt and the Gal Gun series returns as a playable character! Take control of her chargeable, dual-wielding “Desert Angel” guns and other angelic weaponry and give those mutants a taste of your love!
A Blaster Master Zero demo will also be released on May 3. It features two stages: The Forest Area (Area 1) where your subterranean adventure begins; and the Industrial Area (Area 3), a factory where the Central Gear boss rules over and large shutters and conveyor belts block the way.
Watch a trailer for the version 1.2 update below. View a set of screenshots at the gallery.