A new Yakuza title is in the works, series general director Toshihiro Nagoshi confirmed during the Famitsu Awards 2016.
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life won an Excellence Award from the publication, and during the creator interview with Nagoshi, Famitsu editor-in-chief Katsuhiko Hayashi asked about the next entry in the series. Here’s what Nagoshi had to say:
- As long as Yakuza 6 is labeled “the final chapter of Kazuma Kiryu,” we won’t be saying anything like, “just kidding!”
- One of the keywords is that I want to create a new Yakuza.
- I don’t think it’s necessary to narrow it down to a single title. It may be multiple titles.
- We created the Dragon Engine with Yakuza 6, but the game engine itself will be completed with the development of a second or third title.
- I’m already working on the next title. In the not too distant future… I think there will be an opportunity to talk about the next game’s development in a relatively early stage.
The most recent entry in the series, Yakuza 6, launched for PlayStation 4 in Japan in December 2016, and will launch in North America and Europe in early 2018. But before that, Yakuza: Kiwami will launch in the west on August 29.
Thanks, Games Talk.