The latest issues of Weekly Famitsu and Dengeki PlayStation have four-page and six-page features on The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, respectively.
Several details from the magazine coverage has leaked out, including information on the prologue, characters, and a few other tidbits.
Get the roundup below.
■ Prologue (A Rough Summary)
Septian Calendar 1206, spring. A year-and-a-half after the civil war, the Erebonian Empire annexed Crossbell State, and several months later also annexed North Ambria State to become the continent’s largest nation, significantly exceeding its longtime enemy, the Calvard Republic.
Meanwhile, the Imperial Government has centralized its power, and new problems of chaos and weakening arose in the areas once ruled by nobles. At the same time, the secret society Ouroboros broke its silence and began to move in secret in order blend in with the activities of the Jaeger Corps and the Calvard Republic.
Concurrently, Rean lands in the Imperial western suburb of Reaves. After graduating from the Military Academy, he began to walk the path of a teacher. Thors has transformed into a full-fledged military school due to the crown prince’s enrollment. In contrast to the main school, there is the “Thors Military Academy Reaves II Branch,” which accepts noble children and foreigners who for some reason didn’t make the cut. The branch headmaster is the former Noble Alliance commander-in-chief. Among the three classes, Rean is in charge of the Class VII “Special Duty Division.”
The classes of the Thors II branch school are the Class VII Special Duty Division, Class VIII Tactics Division, Class IX Accounting Division.
“We’re newcomers all the same. Let’s sweat and improve together as friends.”
- Age: 20
- Weapon: Long sword
After graduation, he was strongly urged to join the Imperial Army, but in order to save the spirit of Thors, and in order to not use himself or Valimar any more, he chose to become the instructor of a newly established branch school with an interesting backstory.
According to Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo, Class VII graduated first, and there were changes in the relationship between Rean and Patrick due to the fact that Class VII graduated first. The former students of Class VII regularly keep in contact. And Rean’s ogre power is gradually becoming unstable and impossible to control.
“The Eight Leaves One Blade-style Professor Schwarzer, huh? I honestly haven’t heard of him.”
- Age: 17
- Weapon: Dual swords (huge)
A boy with rare, blueish-gray hair born to the Vander family, known as the military family in the Erebonian Empire. He possess masterful dual swordsmanship skills and as one of the Vanders, was fired up with a sense of duty to protect the Imperial family, but after the end of the civil war and because of Prime Minister Osbourne’s strategy, the Vander family was dismissed of its employment as protection for the Imperial family, and he lost sight of his goal. After the disappointment, he tries to withdraw his entry to Thors, but at the recommendation of his older brother Mueller, he hesitantly goes to the Thors II branch school.
According to Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo, his relationship with Rean, who is a master of the Eight Leaves One Blade style, is a highlight and unrelated to the Imperial military family. Kurt himself has a complex in that he considers himself smart. In battle, he is a balanced advance guard character.
“I can’t lose to the Imperials until I achieve results with Class VII!”
- Age: 17
- Weapon: Gun breaker (a tonfa-and-gun combination that can strike and shoot)
A girl with pink hair from the old Crossbell State. Admiring the work of the Crossbell Police Special Support Section, she enters the police academy, but her dreams are crushed after Crossbell is occupied by the Erebonian Empire. After receiving a proposal from someone on the inside, she decides to enroll in the Thors II branch school in order to ascertain the current condition of the Empire as an aggressor nation. That person is a character that has appeared in the series in the past and is acquainted with Rean.
According to Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo, she gets worked up about being from the Crossbell occupied by the Erebonian Empire. She is an “oneechan” as she has a little brother and little sister. In battle, she fights while switching modes.
“Since you’ve joined the branch school, I think ‘Professor Rean’s Class’ is appropriate.”
- Age: 14?
- Weapon: Claimh=Solais
A girl who belongs to the Imperial Intelligence Agency. Even after the civil war, she was completing various missions, but as a watchdog who monitors Rean’s activity and a partner, she provides support. Upon Rean’s inauguration as a teacher, she is sent in as a student.
According to Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo, changes are starting to sprout her emotions and such while acting with Rean. Her relationship with Millium Orion and the secret of her own birth will also be depicted.
■ Other Interview Tidbits
- A group drama will be depicted in the Erebonian Empire walking as a military nation.
- The annexation of the North Ambria State is one part of the Prime Minister’s bigger plan.
- What Rean, Altina, and the headmaster were doing during the Northern War will gradually become clear during the game.
- The headmaster is an unbelievably strong character who previously served as the Noble Alliance commander-in-chief.
- The nobles are weakened by the reduction of the Provincial Army, but are beginning to make moves.
- Olivert Reise Arnor is removed from the board members of the Thors Military Academy, the teaching staff has completely changed, and the military feel of the curriculum has been strengthened.
- Since Trista is east of the Imperial capital, Reaves is the opposite side of the Imperial capital. The town is complete with facilities and has a high level of convenience.
- The Thors II branch school not only has students, it also has characters from the series in faculty that you wouldn’t think of.
- The Thors II branch school uses three classes as a single organization, which is different from the main school.
- Wait for a follow-up report regarding the former members of Class VII.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III is due out for PlayStation 4 in Japan this fall.