Atlus will release visual novel and strategy RPG hybrid Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in the Americas and Europe in spring 2017, followed by its direct sequel Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth in fall 2017, the company announced. Deep Silver will publish the game in Europe.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception was originally released as Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita in Japan on September 24, 2015. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth launched as Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro for the same platforms on September 21, 2016.
Both games will be available physically and digitally in the Americas. In Europe, the PlayStation 4 version will be available physically and digitally, while the PS Vita version will only be available digitally. The game will be priced at $49.99 / CA$64.99 for the PlayStation 4 version and $39.99 / CA$54.99 for PS Vita version.
Here’s an overview of Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, via Atlus:
Originally known as Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen in Japan, Mask of Deception is a grand tale meant to enchant the hearts and minds of players in search of incredible journey. The game begins atop a snowy mountain where the protagonist awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness, surrounded by deadly creatures, with nothing but a hospital gown and a splitting headache. However, he’s eventually rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beast-like tail. Finding that the hapless man has no memory of anything, Kuon decides to take the amnesiac into her care, naming him Haku. As their journey takes them across the land, Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Both Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth will feature English text and the original Japanese audio.
Small Content Edit
A brief note on content: While Atlus is committed to bringing over games that are as true to their original forms as possible, in the case of Mask of Deception, a scene had to have a small content edit to comply with various regional regulations about the depiction of physical discipline to minors. We worked with Aquaplus to keep the scope of the editing to an absolute minimum, and we both agree the change made to the scene in the game still conveys its full meaning without running into issues.
Watch the announcement trailer for Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception below. View a set of English screenshots at the gallery.