The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has details on the new “Brave Style” hunting style set to appear in Capcom’s newly announced Monster Hunter XX.
Brave Style is an offensive hunting style focused on continuous attacks, in which you can only equip one hunter art. The style comes with a “Brave Gauge” that fills as you parry monster attacks. When it’s full, you can activate your “Brave State.”
In your charge state, you can parry and perform cancel attacks. The latter can be used to easily fill up the Brave Gauge by great amounts to quicker activate Brave State.
In your Brave State, your evasiveness with some weapon types increases, and you can use the powerful link attacks and special techniques of each weapon type. Your Brave Gauge will always decrease while in Brave State, so it’s important to continuously land attacks to keep it filled.
The following moves will become available:
- “Strong Charged Moving Slash” – Uses a great sword and unleashes a charged attack while moving.
- “Step Shot” – Shoots a special bullet with the light bowgun while stepping.
- “True Charge” – Uses a hammer and unleashes an additional charged attack from the standard charged attack, and then one more super powerful charged attack.
Another new style is the “Renkin Style.” We’ve seen this style lifting a barrel-like object, but other than that details are unknown.
Famitsu also confirms that the Meowstress’ little sister will appear in the game.
Finally, here are some tidbits from an interview in the magazine:
- The director of Monster Hunter XX is Daisuke Ichihara, and the main planner is Takurou Hiraoka. Both served as planners on Monster Hunter Generations. Yasunori Ichinose, the director of the previous game, is providing concept supervision and work flow.
- They’re not adding a “G” to the title this time because “X” (Cross) is a special character. Since it’s a special game, it gets a special name.
- Balfark is an ancient dragon-type monster who lives in a super high altitude area. He’ll incorporate elements that you normally wouldn’t be able to imagine.
- Balfark and Ouma Diablos are both connected to the main story.
- The concept of Brave Style was to make a sharper hunting style. The Bushido style is different in that it feels like a style intended for experts.
- The Renkin Style is intended for people who want to vigorously enjoy hunting.
- Many new elements are being prepared, more than what has already been shown.
Monster Hunter XX is due out for 3DS in Japan on March 18. Development is currently 70 percent complete.
Thanks, Hachima Kikou.