Crytek has announced CryEngine V, the latest version in its video game development engine. It can be download today at CryEngine.com.
Launched with a “Pay What You Want” business model, developers will have full access to the engine’s feature-set and source code for a fee of their choosing and have no obligation to pay royalties or additional service charges to Crytek. Users who decide to do so can allocate 70 percent of the sum to Crytek’s new Indie Development Fund, which will see Crytek directly supporting promising independent projects around the world.
Crytek V comes with access to the CryEngine Marketplace, which will enable developers to access individual assets from Crytek’s own library, as well as thousands of materials, sounds, and 3D objects created by the CryEngine community and other vendors.
The new CryEngine also brings expanded support for virtual reality hardware, now equipping users to create stand-out virtual reality experiences for PlayStation VR, OSVR, HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift.
The engine also features:
- C# Enabled: A new API that allows developers who know C# to start scripting in CryEngine V right away.
- Reworked Low Overhead Renderer: Significantly increases the performance of today’s hardware in graphically intensive applications.
- DirectX 12 support: Utilize the latest branch of DirectX to take greater control of hardware resources.
- Advanced Volumetric Cloud System: Optimized for VR to give clouds full 3D spatial rendering for higher quality with minimal performance hit.
- New particle system: Create stunning real-time fluid effects, handled almost entirely on the GPU.
- A new launcher and UI: Navigate CryEngine more intuitively thanks to a streamlined UI which includes realigned features and new icon groupings.
- FMOD Studio support: Allowing greater flexibility in audio middleware selection.
- CryEngine Answers: A dedicated channel where the CryEngine community can share questions and answers.
To celebrate today’s news, Crytek has teamed up with Humble Bundle to offer developers a bundle of multiple packs featuring thousands of high quality, ready-made assets, including characters, textures, and world-building props from Ryse: Son of Rome. Download the asset bundle at Humble Bundle.
Watch a CryEngine showcase video below.