2K Games and Gearbox Software have detailed in full the features of its upcoming first-person shooter Battleborn.
Get the information below.
Play through repeatable Story Mode episodes to save the last star in the universe from Rendain and the Varelsi. Here’s a few things you can expect as part of Battleborn’s Story mode:
- Play Solo: Complete missions to unlock the next one.
- Play Co-Op: Three episodes are displayed for players to vote on regardless of whether or not they’ve unlocked that map in solo.
- Be Right Back: You can’t join a match that’s already in progress… HOWEVER, you can rejoin your team if you’ve been disconnected from the game.
- Find Friends: Jump out to the homescreen to party up with friends or search for random teammates, then get cracking on the next S
- Story episode. When searching for random fellow co-op players, you’ll be matched with others who are similar to your own skill level.
- Hardcore Mode: When things get tough, make it tougher! If you’re up for a challenge, flip on Hardcore mode and jump into Story episodes for extra loot, all new unlockable content, and some really, REALLY tough fights.
Check out the Battleborn Prequel Web Comic for more backstory to the Battleborn universe!
Competitive Multiplayer Modes
Before the Battleborn joined forces to save the universe, they fought amongst themselves for the few resources that were left. Team up with other players to battle on three Competitive Multiplayer modes, Incursion, Capture, and Meltdown.
- Incursion: Take out the enemy’s two Spider Sentry Drones before they get to yours.
- Capture: It’s a classic capture-and-control showdown between two teams of heroes… but more badass!
- Meltdown: Each team marches waves of minions to their death, and scores points for every minion who throws themselves into the incinerator. The team with the most scrap metal, wins.
- Skill-Based Matchmaking: Queue up in regular Competitive Multiplayer matches to be matched with and against similarly skilled players.
- Map Counts: Each mode has 2 maps with many more coming after launch. Take a look at our plans for free DLC here.
- Private Matches: Get some practice in with private competitive matches. Customize team sizes from 1v1 through 5v5 or toggle the unique character requirement off for a team full of Oscar Mike clones! Private matches also allow you to play against AI bots, but to keep it fair, nobody is cheesing XP from bot matches. The AI bots are based on real-player telemetry, so their behaviors will become more robust as people play the game more.
Battleborn includes multiple progressions systems. Playing either Story Mode or Competitive Multiplayer Modes will earn you XP towards temporary Helix augmentations as well as persistent Command Rank and Character Rank levels.
- Helix: During a single Competitive match or Story episode, each level you gain activates a new Helix augmentation opportunity – all the way to level 10. Each level has two augmentation choices and a character’s Helix resets at the beginning of a new match or episode, meaning you can tailor your character’s abilities to the situation at hand.
- Character Rank: Each character ranks up the more you play them, up to rank 15. The Character Rank levels persist across all modes, and unlike Helix augmentations, this experience never resets. Increasing the Character Rank unlocks Mutations which are extra Augments that become available on the Helix Menu. The higher the Character’s Rank, the more Helix augmentations, taunts, titles, and skins you unlock for that character.
- Command Rank: Command Rank persists across all modes and all characters played. Every Competitive match (excluding bots) and Story episode grants XP towards your player Command Rank. Rising through the ranks will unlock characters, new Gear options, titles, and more – all the way to Command Rank 100.
25 Badass Battleborn Characters
Battleborn has a large starting roster of 25 playable heroes, and it will continue growing with additional, free heroes after launch. Check out the first 25 here and stay tuned to the news blog for even more information about the different character types: Attackers, Defenders, and Support.
- Attackers: Charge into the fight with a variety of offensive Battleborn heroes. Throw punches, slice ‘em up, blast ‘em down, or break out the big guns with Rath, Deande, Phoebe, Whiskey Foxtrot, Mellka, Thorn, Marquis, Oscar Mike, Benedict, Caldarius, El Dragón, Orendi, Shayne & Aurox, and Ghalt.
- Defenders: Take a hit for the team (or two, or three) with the likes of Attikus, Galilea, Kelvin, Boldur, ISIC, Toby, and Montana.
Support: Shields, heals, and still more firepower – Miko, Reyna, Kleese, and Ambra can help the team in the fight.
- Couch Co-Op: Play split-screen on PS4 and Xbox One.
- Multiple Couches: You can only do two screens per console. BUT, you can connect with two other co-op playing pals on another machine.
- Split Screen on Your Team: People playing split screen can join up with any team. The max number of Battleborn per side: five players.
There isn’t an explicit color blind mode, but we do let you pick your team color and the opposing team’s color. This colorization is applied to enemy color, health bars, competitive objectives, etc., and is available on all platforms.
Battleborn is due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on May 3. A beta will begin on April 8 for PlayStation 4, and April 13 for Xbox One and PC.
View a few new images at the gallery.