Something is going on with Konami and Metal Gear Solid developer Kojima Productions. Konami has been updating its websites during the last 24 hours, removing all traces of “Kojima Productions” and its boss Hideo Kojima.
Here’s the list of changes:
- Kojima Productions’ Twitter accounts are “officially moving accounts to” @MetalGear_EN and @MetalGear_JP
- Kojima Productions’ official website is redirected to the Metal Gear series portal
- The Kojima Productions logo has disappeared from both the Metal Gear series portal and Metal Gear Solid V‘s official website (archive.org comparison)
- All traces of “A Hideo Kojima Game” above the titles of Metal Gear Solid games on Konami America’s Metal Gear Solid page have disappeared (archive.org comparison)
- Kojima Productions L.A.’s website redirects to Konami.com (archive.org comparison)
- Hideo Kojima is not named in this year’s restructuring announcement (he was previously named as the “Executive Content Officer”)
- What were previously job openings for Kojima Productions Los Angeles are now job openings for Konami Los Angeles Studio
What this means for Kojima Productions is uncertain. The studio could be disbanding, Hideo Kojima could be leaving, or Konami could simply be integrating Kojima Productions into the company as a nameless development team. We’re reaching out to Konami for comment.
Update: In a (non-)statement provided to VideoGamer, a Konami respresentative said, “Konami Digital Entertainment, including Mr. Kojima, will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements.”
Update 2: IGN received a more detailed response from Konami.
“As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements.”
Update 3: Hideo Kojima is reportedly expected to depart Konami following Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Read more here.