Media Molecule is bringing Tearaway, first launched for PS Vita last year, to PlayStation 4 as Tearaway Unfolded.
Due out next year, the PlayStation 4 version will run in 1080p and is targeting 60 frames per second. It’s being rebuilt “from the ground up” to use the DualShock 4 controller. The game’s story will be familiar, but it will offer new ways to play and new places to explore.
“From the comfort of your couch, you can swipe the touch pad to unleash great gusts of wind, and send them howling into the world to unfold rippling bridges or send enemies tumbling from cliffs,” Media Molecule said on the PlayStation Blog. “The power of wind can also be used to propel Atoi through the skies in a paper plane, so you can explore the larger new world from above.
“We also use the controller in more surprising ways too! You can shine the controller’s light bar into the TV to light up dark and gloomy places, growing and transforming the scenery, and guiding Atoi along her way. Your little messenger companion can also throw items and creatures out of your TV and into your controller, where you can listen to them rattling around, before sending them hurtling back into the world.”
Get the trailer and a fact sheet below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.
Developed by the critically acclaimed developer Media Molecule, Tearaway™ Unfolded is an expanded retelling of the BAFTA award-winning PlayStation Vita game Tearaway, reimagined for the PlayStation 4 system. The game has been rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of the enhanced power of the PlayStation 4 system and the novel features of the DUALSHOCK 4 controller, with new fourth-wall-busting interactions. Targeting 1080p and 60fps, Tearaway Unfolded expands upon existing areas from Tearaway and introduces completely new areas delivering even more charming detail within wider vistas.
Journey through a vibrant world built realistically from paper that unfolds and comes alive before your very eyes with a plucky messenger who has a unique message to deliver. As you travel together in this “buddy-movie”, rites-of-passage adventure, you’ll rely on each other’s strengths to overcome perilous challenges, uncover a magical dimension inspired by half-forgotten stories and folklore. Tearaway Unfolded is an experience like no other; a game that knows the player exists, and integrates them fully into the story.
Using the unique inputs and physicality of the DUALSHOCK 4 controller, Tearaway Unfolded allows you to reach into your TV to bring the game to life in completely new and unexpected ways. Some of these features include, but are not limited to, unleashing powerful gusts of wind with a well-timed swipe of the touch pad, shining the wireless controller’s light bar at the TV to grow and transform the scenery, or pushing the touch pad to spring your messenger up into the air or across platforms.
As you play, collect printable papercraft plans to bring a little bit of this papery world back with you in the real world. As you explore, you’ll also see more of your own creativity appearing inside the paper world too!
- Immersive PlayStation 4 Controls – Rebuilt from the ground up to take full advantage of the PlayStation 4 system and the DUALSHOCK 4, Tearaway Unfolded uses the full range of inputs to deliver an immersive and unique gameplay experience.
- Catch objects your messenger throws to you as they fly out of the screen into your wireless controller, where you can hear them rattling around, before sending them hurtling back into hardto-reach places, or towards your hapless enemies.
- Shine the wireless controller’s light bar at the TV to illuminate dark and gloomy places, growing and transforming the scenery as you do, and guiding your companion along their way.
- Unleash powerful gusts of wind to unfold rippling bridges, or send enemies tumbling off cliffs, with a well-timed swipe of the touch pad. Use the power of wind to propel your messenger through the skies in their paper plane and explore the world from above.
- Push and release the touch pad to squash drum skins and spring your messenger up into the air or across platforms.
- Share Favorite Gameplay Moments – With the DUALSHOCK 4 Share button players can seamlesslyshare special gameplay moments or photos of their adventures, using the messenger’s in-game camera with collectible filters and lenses, to their social networks.
- PlayStation Camera Integration – Players who own the PlayStation Camera will get an enhanced gameplay experience. Strategically use it in creative challenges and see your face appear in the sun just like in the original PlayStation Vita version.
- Paper Engine with Real World Physics – Tearaway Unfolded’s exclusive game engine creates a 3D animated world from sheets of paper to capture the real physics of paper material that will tear, fold, or crumple, especially when the player reaches out and interacts with the world.
- Unique Experience for Every Player – From unlocking the unique message inside their messenger’s head, to decorating things along their journey and customizing how their messenger appears inside the game, Tearaway Unfolded delivers a truly personalized gameplay experience.
- Print & Create Papercraft – Players will be rewarded with over 60 real papercraft plans of the creatures, objects and characters from the game to print out and construct, bringing the world of Tearaway Unfolded to life in their own homes.
- Tearaway.me Community Site – Tearaway.me (http://tearaway.me) gives players access to their papercraft collection, and all the in-game photos they’ve shared, along with the photos taken by the rest of the Tearaway community, either from their own adventures, or of their papercraft models.