Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to North America and Europe for PC in early 2013, Sega has announced. The free-to-play multiplayer action RPG launched in Japan last week.
“Phantasy Star Online was a revolutionary game when it was released, and we want to make sure that its successor in the series is every bit as ambitious,” said Chris Olson, Vice President of Digital Business at Sega of America. “We look forward to introducing Phantasy Star Online 2’s unique, easy-to-access multiplayer action to the rest of the world next year!”
The game is set in the year 238, the New Era of Light, where players will join a new band or Arcs in the fight against mysterious D-Arkers.
“The number one thing we want to provide players in Phantasy Star Online 2 is an adventure that changes every time they log in. Just as great table-top RPG experiences revolve around imaginative and unexpected encounters, we want players to consistently be surprised as they explore dungeons and undertake quests,” added Satoshi Sakai, Phantasy Star Online 2 Producer at Sega of Japan.
Phantasy Star Online 2 boasts the following features:
- Deep sci-fi fantasy universe filled with lush landscapes, extraordinary creatures, and epic adventures.
- Revolutionary real-time combat and third-person action with devastating combos and counters to master.
- Flexible, class-based leveling system that lets players define their own play-style with distinctive melee, ranged, and magic weapon types.
- Randomized dungeon maps and unexpected mid-quest encounters that ensure each quest is different for each player.
- Deep character creation system with a nearly limitless number of potential appearances.
- Three degrees of humanity to experience across three unique races: the versatile Humans, spiritually-powered Newmen, and artificial CAST.
A teaser will soon be available at PSO2.com.