Following a broken embargo this morning, Sony and Polyphony Digital have confirmed Gran Turismo 6 is coming to PlayStation 3 this holiday season.
As detailed earlier, the racer will feature all of Gran Turismo 5‘s vehicles, as well as new vehicles, bringing the car total up to 1,200. Players wil be able to customize their cars with “several thousand aerodynamic parts and custom wheels” for “almost all cars.” The game will also include all of Gran Turismo 5‘s tracks, on top of seven new locations, including the UK’s Silverstone Circuit.
The game is being developed on a new “compact” engine promised to “improve operation and increase the flexibility” to expand the racer with download content. More cars and tracks are expected to be added post-launch.
“It is amazing to think that it is 15 years since we first released Gran Turismo,” explained Kazunori Yamauchi, during the announcement at Silverstone Circuit. “Things have changed a lot since then and now Gran Turismo 6 is a further evolution of my dream. We’re pleased to deliver GT6 to PlayStation 3 as we have a very loyal community on that platform. However, we have refactored the game to make it very flexible and expandable, with a view to making many future developments.”
He continued, “I am very pleased with everything about the new game and the new additions, but the launch will be only the beginning for GT6. The game will continue to develop throughout its life. I already have many ideas for things I want to achieve in the next 15 years of Gran Turismo!”
Find a summary of the game’s features below:
New Game Engine
- Compact, nimble operation
- Flexible expandability
- A new rendering engine that pushes the limits of the PS3
New Physics Engine
- New suspension and kinematics model
- New tyre model
- New aerodynamics model
- Technical partnership with Yokohama Rubber and KW Automotive
1,200 Cars, abundant custom parts, and on-going DLC
- From historic cars to the latest racing cars, the game contains a total of 1200 cars.
- Multiple aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars.
- Players can create their own personalised custom car in the game.
- Cars will be continually added online
33 locations, 71 layouts
- 33 Locations and 71 layouts will be provided from day 1 (7 more locations and 19 more layouts than GT5)
- More new tracks will continue to be provided online
New Course Maker
- Massive scenery spanning several tens of square kilometers
- A new course generation algorithm
- Players can form their own communities
- Various community levels from local and domestic to global
- Players themselves can create and manage their own online events
New User Interface
- Balancing directional key operation and touch operation
- Quick response
- Shortening of loading times
Multi Device Compatibility
- Smart Phone
In other Gran Turismo-related news, Sony shared new series sales figures. Gran Turismo 5 sales have topped 10 million units, and series sales in total have exceeded 70 million.
Watch the debut trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.