The latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation has an interview with A Certain Magical Virtual-On producer Jurou Wataru, who shared a few new details about the March-announced high-speed battle action game, including confirmation of a winter 2018 release window for Japan.
Here are the tidbits:
- We’re trying to make the game as close to the game in the novel as possible.
- While keeping the genes of Virtual-On, this is a reboot with the Virtual-On that appears in the novel.
- Currently, we’ve passed the alpha version and are creating the basic parts of the game.
- The number of Virtuaroids that appear in the game is still a secret. There will also be Virtuaroids outside of those that appeared in the novel.
- For the rules, we’re thinking of a framework based on points, so we’re constructing a way of putting together regulations and actions to go along with them.
- You gain points by stealing downs, and the outcome is determined by the number of points you have.
- The game isn’t just online battles and co-op, there is a single-player story to enjoy as well.
- Since each Index character has a special ability, the idea is to choose and combine them with compatible Virtuaroids.
- There are plenty of games where you fight in 3D spaces. I want to propose a new way of playing. It will be important to incorporate the abilities of the Index characters.
- Nowadays there aren’t as many players who find enjoyment in one-on-one battles as there were back in the day, so we need a design suited to modern society in addition to the one-on-one battle style.
- I want the game content to allow even users who don’t play games much to have fun.
- I may be able to say something regarding the game’s release window at the Tokyo Game Show. Right now, I can’t say anything more than “winter 2018.”
A Certain Magical Virtual-On will be available for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita.