Atlus has opened the official website for Studio Zero, its newly established development studio working on a new fantasy RPG titled Project Re Fantasy.
The website offers information about the studio, a message from producer & director Katsura Hashino, a list of key staff working on the game, and a concept video and artwork of the high fantasy RPG.
Get the information below.
■ About the Studio Zero
Different from the studio that continue to work on series such as Persona and Megaten, Studio Zero is where we reconfirm the meaning of our existence from the starting point and once again begin a new challenge. Returning to our creative roots, we decided to establish this new studio as a starting point to create for all platforms as the big counter the current era requires. The participating staff that gather at this studio have, over the course of Atlus RPGs so far, are volunteers that have worked hard together and produced gameplay of value. What kinds of things will happen in the future? Please look forward to it.
■ A Message from Katsura Hasino, Producer & Director
25 years ago, the Atlus RPG uttered its first cry. Speaking of RPGs in those days, the stories of morality in so-called medieval fantasies worlds were mainstream. The Shin Megami Tensei series was released as an “opposition” to such a “common” world view, and the Persona series was released as its spin-off. Both series, even today in their latest entries, have always been made with the concept that it will be a counter to the times. And now how will Atlus, which has been creating counters to such eras, approach a new RPG? That is, to challenge the norms of the genre users have already been consuming for decades in various media on a regular basis.
So, we have succeeded at contemporary drama so far, but the next RPG theme is nothing other than a return to a “true fantasy world.” We firmly believe that to make this beautiful gaming experience, going somewhere among all the games made about overflowing fantasy worlds only we can go, is a counter to the current era. As only the creators of Shin Megami Tensei and Persona can do, we’ll offer players all around the world a “true journey” based on the themes and essence at the foundation of those two titles. By all means, please come and witness this challenge.
■ Project Re Fantasy Creators
- Producer & Director (Studio Zero) – Katsura Hashino (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- Character Designer (Atlus Artwork Team) – Shigenori Soejima (Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- Sound Composer (Atlus Sound Team) – Shoji Meguro (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- Production – Atlus / Studio Zero
■ Main Staff
- Scenario & Planning
- Scenario Planner – Yuichiro Tanaka (Persona 3, Persona 3 Fes, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- Scenario and System Planner – Azusa Kido (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- System Planner – Atsushi Watanabe (Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- System Plannner – Kenichi Gotoh (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha series, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- Programmer – Yujiro Kosaka (Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- Programmer – Toshiyuki Niida (Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, etc.)
- Programmer – Hirotaka Mizuno (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Persona 5)
- Graphic Design
- Designer – Yasuhiro Akimoto (Catherine, Persona 5)
- Designer – Hiroki Fujioka (Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Persona 5, etc.)
- Project Manager – Akiyasu Yamamoto (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, etc.)
Atlus is currently recruiting staff to participate in the development of Project Re Fantasy. If you’re near Sangenjaya in Setagayaku, Tokyo, you can apply for open positions (programmer, planner, and designer) at MyNavi.
Watch the concept video below. View the first artwork at the gallery.
Update 10:00 a.m.: Atlus U.S.A. has put out a press release about Studio Zero and Project Re Fantasy. Here it is in full:
Studio Zero – Atlus and Persona 5 Director Katsura Hashino Challenge Themselves by Undertaking a New Fantasy RPG Title
Irvine, Calif. — Dec. 23, 2016 — Atlus, the developers behind the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series, and Katsura Hashino – director of Atlus titles including Persona 5, Catherine, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, and others – are launching a new internal studio called Studio Zero. Within the studio’s new logo is a story in and of itself: The number 0 is the “Fool” arcana for tarot cards – the void from which all other things begin – and punctuated with the imagery of a young child on a journey.
For the game itself, though not much information is available as it is in the earliest of stages of development. But a few things are apparent from the outset – it will be a complete departure from the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series, and a return to the roots of where the Japanese games industry began with fantasy role-playing games. However, as ATLUS has always challenged the prevailing styles of RPG design, it is at the core of Studio Zero’s mission to do this again, imbuing the traditional fantasy RPG with a distinctively Atlus flavor. Hashino is tapped to be the game’s director, along with other legendary Atlus names. Along on the journey will be Shigenori Soejima from the Atlus Artwork Team, responsible for creating the character art of the denizens of this new fantasy world, and Shoji Meguro from the Atlus Sound Team, who will breathe life and depth into the new world as music composer.
“We take seriously this goal of creating a game with the care and detail expected by the people who love Atlus games and home console games,” said Hashino. “We haven’t determined yet what platform our new game will be, and I imagine this project will take a long time until completion. But we’ll be working hard at this challenge to truly deliver something new and incredible for all our fans.”
While Hashino is focusing entirely on building Studio Zero from the ground up, Soejima and Meguro will maintain their responsibilities to the Persona series. Likewise, P-Studio, the production team in charge of Persona, will continue to operate at full strength to develop new entries to fulfill demand for the series. As the startup, Studio Zero will be a driving source of innovation for all Atlus development. Keep an eye out on the official website, rpg.jp for additional updates.