Compile Heart has announced Black Rose Valkyrie for PlayStation 4, a brand new RPG featuring character design by Kosuke Fujishima and a scenario by Takumi Miyajima. It is produced by Norihisa Kochiwa and directed by Kenta Kanno.
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has the exclusive scoop on the title. The game follows a protagonist and five heroines. “Traitor” is a key word, and each time you play the game, the traitor among the group changes.
Black Rose Valkyrie was announced under the brand “Idea Factory International.” However, this is not Idea Factory International the publisher in North America and Europe. In an e-mail, a company spokesperson explained to Gematsu, “Idea Factory International is a brand under Idea Factory / Compile Heart, just like Galapagos RPG and Otomate are also their brands. For now, we don’t have any announcements with the game that they’re counting down to.”
Watch a teaser trailer below.
Update 6:00 a.m.: Black Rose Valkyrie will launch for PlayStation 4 in Japan in 2016. Here are some new details:
Black Rose Valkyrie is a completely new RPG set in the first half of the 20th century where a hero, together with five heroines, battles monsters.
At first glance, it appears to be a retro military style orthodox story, but as a matter of fact, there is a traitor hiding among the heroines, and each time you play, the traitor is different.
The concept of day and night is key to the story. Some events only occur at certain times. Enemy strength and appearance rate also changes based on the time.
- Event scenes use Live2D technology.
- During interview parts, you can investigate signs of treachery among your group. Apparently, if you don’t investigate properly, things won’t turn out very well.
- Several different endings are being prepared.
- It’s possible your favorite character ends up being a traitor, but you’ll get results appropriate to the actions you take as their commanding officer.
- Battles use a turn-based command system where the order of actions changes based on the speed of the character. Add another little twist and you’ve got a system that you can really dig into.
- Asahi Shiramine – The protagonist. A serious and hardworking person who gradually obtains the trust of his companions.
- Ai Yakumo – A level-headed companion.
- Runa Ichinomiya – The daughter of a large business conglomerate.
- Amaru Franson – A girl who is always dressing up like a boy. She’s friendly and full of energy.
- Kuu Franson – Amaru’s twin sister. She’s shy and isn’t good around men.
- Yue Hiragi – A girl with a serious personality and the temperament of a genuine soldier.
Thanks, Hachima Kikou.