Sony Computer Entertainment and PixelJunk series developer Q-Games have announced The Tomorrow Children, the studios’ first foray back into the world of 3D games, for PlayStation 4.
“In another future, the human race is trapped,” the trailer begins. “The dreams of mankind reduced to nothingness. We will work together. We will fight together. We will live together. We will build together. We will be comrades! And we’ll mine fallen giants! For the glory of all.”
The Tomorrow Children is the story of a future re-imagined from the after-effects of an experiment in 1960s Russia, which attempted to ‘sublime’ the human race, melding them into one global consciousness. The experiment went wrong and decimated the planet, and it took 90 years for the few humans remaining to rebuild to the point where they created you, the player, as a “projection clone.” Your duty is to venture out into “The Vod” to reclaim the human race and restore it to its former glory.
The society created by the survivors is based on Marxist ideals from the 1960s. But those ideals have become slightly distorted by the flow of time, and even technology has advanced in unexpected directions.
Players start the game as a normal citizen class. Everything you do builds up recognition points, which can be cashed in for coupons from the state. These “ration” coupons can be cashed in for new abilities. For example, the “Sharp Elbows” perk will let you push and perk during lineups.
You’ll also be mining for materials, because the town needs resources to defend itself from Izverg attacks. The Izverg are giant monsters that roam the Void. You can use mined resources to craft buildings and items that everyone can use to defeat the Izverg.
Every couple of in-game days, an election is held and everyone votes on the mayor they wish to be elected. However, if the wrong mayor is chosen, it could be detrimental. One mayor might lower the resource cost of all buildings by 20 percent, while another might increase weapons’ efficiency, allowing the turrets to reload more quickly.
Watch the debut trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery. Below the trailer, you’ll find a fact sheet with story details an a list of features.
When an ambitious experiment designed to unite the minds of all humanity goes horribly wrong, almost all life on Earth disappears instantly, melting down into the planet to form “the Void”. Years later, a handful of survivors begin to rebuild civilization, but their endeavors are hampered by “the Izverg”, giant beasts formed from the residue of negativity and nightmares that now roam the land. Fortunately, engineers discover the ability to develop “projection clones” – new life forms capable of venturing deep into the Void in search of preserved human DNA. It is with these clones that mankind begins the long journey back to its former glory…
- Choose your character class and travel into the Void in search of resources, building materials and trapped human souls that can be reinstated using a special machine
- Work together with your comrades in a persistent world, obtaining supplies, creating objects, fighting enemies and establishing new settlements
- Make paths through the Void, discovering islands where valuable assets can be obtained, but watch out for the Izverg that lurk around every corner…
- Develop towns from small communes to fortified cities, defending them from Izverg attack, and building new facilities
- Improve your character, develop your skills and boost your status on your own personal mission to rebuild the world – for the glory of all!