The studio worked with ilovedust, a graphic design studio based on the south coast of England, to create the box art.
“When we all set out to create a box art for Sunset Overdrive, we knew we had a major challenge ahead of us,” Insomniac community manager James Stevenson said in a blog post. “First, Sunset Overdrive isn’t a character-forward game. The character in Sunset Overdrive is YOU. You’ll customize your character and play as yourself. So the cover couldn’t really solely focus on just a game-style rendered character and weapon [today’s ‘standard’ videogame cover].”
The second challenge was presenting not just the world of Sunset City, but also the characters and factions that inhabit it.
“ilovedust set out to create a densely layered composition that not only showed a hero character/weapon but also the rest of the world of Sunset Overdrive,” Stevenson said.
Here’s a bit of the larger details you’ll see packed onto the cover:
- Hero Character with Roman Candle gun. This was one of the tougher parts, as showing any sort of “hero” in a game where YOU are the hero and can play as male or female, various body types, and tons of customization options, means you probably won’t see this guy in your game much.
- OD, Overcharge Drinkers. Multiple varieties of OD in the mutant OD horde.
- Survivors. Other residents of Sunset City who didn’t drink Overcharge Delirium XT that you’ll meet during the game.
- Scab. The human ne’er-do-wells who are taking the opportunity to loot and plunder Sunset City.
- Effects. Fourth wall breaking effects from the Scab’s gun.
- Fizzie. Fizzco’s corporate mascot insisted on being on the box cover! He’s impossible to resist, as you’ve seen on Twitter so far. Check out his robot blimp hovering menacingly in the clouds.
- Game logo. ilovedust’s logo for the game, in bright Overcharge Orange.
View the box art at the gallery. The game is due out this fall.