Interceptor Entertainment and 3D Realms have announced Bombshell, an isometric action RPG for PlayStation 4 and PC.
The Unreal Engine-powered game puts players in the shoes of Bomb Disposal Specialist turned mercenary for hire Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison, who must fight her way across four planets to rescue the president from an apocalyptic alien threat. It promises “out-of-this-world” enemies, an arsenal of “devastating” weaponry, and a host of “genre-crossing mechanics.”
Here are some key features, via Interceptor:
- History in the Breaking – Be part of Bombshell’s debut as she fights to save her president and her people from a maniac’s mechanical monstrosity.
- Brave New Worlds – Traverse the dying world of Kyrron as it’s consumed by its neighboring sun, discover the secrets of a civilization frozen in time on the distant world of Zeroth and travel to the epitome of technology — a villain’s vision which threatens to consume all that exists.
- Robot-Armed and Dangerous – Shell, shock and shatter your way through vicious, bloodthirsty predators, an augmented alien species, and the remnants of an ancient race re-animated, with more than 10 weaponized arm modifications.
- Isometric Ingenuity – Brilliantly brutal top-down shooting layered with classic role-playing mechanics, including experience points, upgrades, side quests, and non-linear levels.
- Heavy Handed – Fierce finishing moves and interactive environments make Bombshell as dynamic as she is deadly.
- What Are You Lookin’ At? – Yeah, she has a metal arm. Deal with it.
And some details about the protagonist:
Name: Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison
Likes: Kicking ass, motorcycles, kicking ass on motor cycles
Dislikes: Bubble gum, sunglasses, blonde hair
As a child, Shelly Harrison demonstrated an insatiable desire to succeed. From a young age, she demonstrated an aptitude for creative complexity and was always the outcast, prioritizing success over sociability.
As she matured, Shelly became known for her risk-taking, resilience and leadership, and developed a strong reputation for accomplishing her goals. These traits lead her to join the Global Defence Force, where she eventually became a well-respected and highly-regarded Colonel.
But Shelly quickly grew tired of conventional combat and became a Bomb Disposal Specialist. Charged with the safe disposal of unexploded ordnance, such a mines, shells and bombs, Harrison’s new career indulged her affinity for danger.
That career ended after what became known as “the Washington incident,” where she lost both her arm and her squad — a group she thought of as family — in a violent and explosive act. Shortly after, Shelly was given an honorable discharge.
She was later approached by a private military contractor. In exchange for her diverse skillset — which includes expert weapons training and bomb disposal — they offered her a second chance: a mechanical arm built from unidentified remnants discovered in the aftermath of the Washington incident.
Looking to get revenge on those responsible for the incident, she accepted. With this new arm, Shelly took on the name of “Bombshell” and vowed to restore both her name and her career.
If Shelly isn’t on standby awaiting assignments in Washington D.C., she’s further indulging her affinity for danger on her motorcycle as a stunt rider — a potent combination of her three favourite “Likes.”
It’s worth noting that Bombshell used to be a new Duke Nukem game called Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. 3D Realms, however, did not own the rights to the series, which prompted a lawsuit from IP owner Gearbox Software. And at the end of it all, Bombshell was born, and according to Bombshell the character’s dislikes (above), she’s not very fond of ol’ Dukie.
Watch the first trailer below. View some screenshots at the gallery.