Pokemon X and Pokemon Y sold over four million units worldwide within its first two days of sale, Nintendo has announced.
The games launched for 3DS on October 12.
The data cannot be accurately compared to previous Pokemon launches, considering this is the first worldwide launch, but when combining regional data for previous launches, Pokemon X and Y would be the fastest selling 3DS games of all time and are tracking ahead of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 by over 70 percent.
“The early response to Pokemon X and Pokemon Y not only reaffirms the ongoing passion of Pokemon fans, but also indicates that an entirely new generation of gamers is eager to experience the franchise for itself,” said Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.
To date, the Pokemon franchise has sold over 245 million games worldwide. Since 2002, five sets of Pokemon games have exceeded 10 million units sold.
- Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (DS) – 17.63 million
- Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA) – 16.22 million
- Pokemon Black and White (DS) – 15.42 million
- Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (DS) – 12.67 million
- Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA) – 12 million