Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is now available worldwide on PlayStation 3 and PC. The game costs $39.99 and $29.99, respectively, with monthly subscription fees starting at $12.99.
The ‘reborn’ MMORPG is set five years after the realm of Eorzea was ravaged by the unleashing of the Bahamut in the original release of Final Fantasy XIV.
“We are extremely proud of all the work and effort spent creating Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and I hope that both new and old players enjoy this Final Fantasy experience,” producer and director Naoki Yoshida said in a press release.
“We look forward to supporting this title for many years to come, always listening to the community and delivering rich content updates and new stories that our fans deserve.”
Square Enix outlined the game’s key features below:
- All the hallmarks of the Final Fantasy franchise, including genre-leading graphics and real-time cut scenes, beautiful music, and an immersive story experience
- Band together with your friends to create guild-like “Free Companies” to take on the game’s story-driven adventures
- High level detail and quality of graphics on both the PlayStation®3 system and Windows PC through the new graphics engine
- Flexible class system that allows players to change to any of the 19 different classes on the fly by simply changing their equipped weapon or tool. Players can also unlock 9 different jobs as they advance in level.
- New takes on classic Final Fantasy elements like the “Materia” and “Limit Break” systems that originally appeared in Final Fantasy VII
- Varied options available for leveling and growing the player’s character − including class quests, main story quests, quick-action “Guildleves and Guildhests” that act as events players can tackle alone or with friends, and exciting “Instanced Dungeons” to raid in search of vast treasures
- Full Active Time Events (FATEs) − unique events that allow for dynamic open world battles and adventures with other players
- Personal companion chocobos for players to ride and fight alongside in battle
A free companion app, Final Fantasy XIV: LIbra Eorzea, will soon be available on the iOS App Store and later on the Android Marketplace. It will allow users to view their created characters, see their friends’ information, and access databases with in-game items, quests, achievements, NPCs, and more.
Final Fantasy XIV will also be available on PlayStation 4 in 2014.
Watch the launch trailer and a new TV spot below.