In Pokemon X and Y, players begin their Pokemon adventure across the Kalos region in Vaniville Town.
After choosing your male or female character, you’ll step outside the house you just moved into and meet four friends who will embark on a journey around the Kalos region alongside you. They are:
- Shauna - an incredibly energetic girl who is coming along on the journey to find a dream of her own. She’s friendly and outgoing, and seems to genuinely enjoy all the curiosities you’ll come across on your journey.
- Tierno - the dancer of the group and wants more than anything to create a dance team with his Pokémon. Strong, kind, and light on his feet, Tierno gets easily distracted by watching opposing Pokémon during battles because he’s too busy trying to incorporate Pokémon moves into his dances.
- Trevor - bursts with curiosity about the world around him. He’s an excellent student, and very competitive, wanting to be the first of the group to complete his Pokédex.
- Serena (if you play as a boy) or Calem (if you play as a girl) – lives next door to you in Vaniville Town. This character has a passion to become a powerful Pokémon Trainer and sets out on the journey to accomplish that dream.
As you explore Kalos, you’ll battle gym leaders and collect gym badges. The first gym leader you’ll encounter is Viola, the gym leader of Santalune City, a pleasant city known for its large fountain and park benches.
Players will first learn about Viola when they meet her older sister Alexa, a journalist working for the publishing house in Lumiose City. She will tell players her sister will be happy to meet players visiting Santalune.
Viola is a professional photographer who specializes in Pokemon photography. Her gym’s interior is constructed from threads like spiderwebs, which players will need to safely maneuver.
- Litleo - a young, hot-blooded Pokémon that is always ready for a battle. A Fire- and Normal-type Pokémon, Litleo’s red mane blazes with heat during battle, which burns hotter when it battles very strong opponents. Litleo knows a new Normal-type move in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, Noble Roar. Useful against strong opponents, Noble Roar intimidates targets and lowers their Attack stat.
- Flabébé - Debuting as a Fairy-type Pokémon along with Sylveon, this Pokemon lives atop a flower that it chooses soon after it’s born and will care for its entire life. Players may see different Flabébé holding flowers of different colors when encountering them in the wild. Flabébé is able to draw forth hidden powers that lie within its flower and use those powers in moves while battling. Flabébé knows Fairy Wind, a Fairy-type move debuting inPokémon X and Pokémon Y that summons a wind that blasts an opponent as it attacks. Like all Fairy-type moves, it’s super effective against Dragon-type Pokémon.
- Scatterbug - As Pokémon evolve, they take on new appearances and learn new moves. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will introduce this Bug-type Pokémon. Scatterbug knows String Shot, a Bug-type move that can lower the Speed stat of opposing Pokémon. Scatterbug evolves intoSpewpa, another new Bug-type Pokémon that can withstand half-hearted attacks due to its stiff, fur-covered body. Use the Normal-type move Protect at a beginning of a turn to protect Spewpa from moves used against it on that turn. The final evolved form of Scatterbug, which was revealed earlier this week, is the new Bug- and Flying-type Pokémon Vivillon. It’s said there’s a secret behind the colorful decorative pattern on Vivillon’s wings, which it uses to scatter its scales or create a strong wind to attack. Vivillon can learn Struggle Bug, a Bug-type move that lowers the Special Attack of any opposing Pokémon it hits, so the move not only causes damage but also reduces the damage inflicted on Vivillon from certain moves during battle.
Watch a new gameplay video below. Find some new screenshots at the gallery.