Long-running horror franchise Resident Evil could potentially see a reboot, according to Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata.
In a talk with Eurogamer about Revelations‘ upcoming transition to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, and PC, the producer was questioned about the possibility of a new direction for the series after mixed reviews of its latest installment, Resident Evil 6.
Kawata was specifically questioned on the possibility of an open-world approach to the franchise.
“If we did [go with an open-world], we would want to preserve what Resident Evil is and what makes it appealing to fans, while also making it accessible to new players,” he said.
“It would almost entail having a slight reboot to get the series into a place where it would work with open-world gameplay. That’s just a personal opinion.”
“A lot of decisions would have to be taken before something like that is done to the series, but it is something that… There is a possibility.”
The producer told the website that he didn’t want to “respond directly” to the reaction to Resident Evil 6, and that the company wanted to “re-examine the series as a whole.”
He added: “If anyone is waiting for an open-world Resident Evil, I think it will certainly be quite a while. So in the meantime, I recommend giving Revelations a try.”
Kawata also spoke about the lack of a Vita release, stating that, although Sony’s handheld is “a very impressive piece of kit,” the company wanted to focus on “the big screen, home console version” of the game.
“The conversation literally didn’t even get to the point where something like that would be a consideration,” he said. “Once the decision had been made to release it for home consoles it was never a possibility.”
Released exclusively on Nintendo 3DS last year, Kawata said that the game’s “successful sales” could have been more given the larger development costs.
Resident Evil: Revelations will launch for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, and PC on May 24.