Nintendo has detailed New Super Mario Bros. U following its E3 reveal this morning.
The game, a “new, side-scrolling adventure” featuring Mario, Luigi, Toad, and your own personal Mii character, re-enters the Mushroom Kingdom to explore new worlds, obtain new power-ups, and play Mario in new ways.
The game’s feature list includes:
- Swoop through levels and cling to walls when Mario transforms into Flying Squirrel Mario, or gently float through the air while hanging onto Tiny Balloon Yoshi.
- The Wii U GamePad controller offers a new way to play multiplayer in this game. An extra player can jump into the action using the new Boost mode, creating platforms out of thin air to help others navigate tricky stages or access hidden or hard-to-reach items.
- Boost mode also makes cooperative speed runs possible for the first time.
- Use the GamePad to interact with and manipulate enemies and objects in real time, allowing for new ways to find the fastest routes through each level.
- Play on the big screen or the small screen. Switch game play from the TV to the GamePad at any time to continue playing even when others are using the TV.
- Experience Mario together like never before with Miiverse. See other players’ comments and accomplishments while you play and leave your own feedback for others to see when connected to the Nintendo Network.
View the first set of screenshots at the gallery. Watch the debut trailer below.