EA CEO John Riccitiello has confirmed this week that Mirror’s Edge, DICE’s 2008 take on a first-person game, will indeed have a sequel, even sharing information on the design problems of the game the developers are currently tackling.
“We’re still working through things like how to best deal with Mirror’s Edge 2,” he said during a Wednesday morning interview in New York. “There are some things we learned about that [first] game. It was, I think, a massively innovative product. To be honest with you, I think it’s a game that deserves to come back.”
When the first game released in late 2008, it didn’t do so hot in sales, selling a light amount during the holidays. While the game was innovative, great and something original, it just didn’t sell well.
“Innovation doesn’t mean it all works the first time,” he said. “If it did everyone would do it.”
Let’s hope all goes well the second time around.
“Innovation is a lot of times about getting so far, stepping back, assessing and then moving forward. And that’s what I’m proud is happening at EA every day,” he closed.